The Joint Research Centre (JRC) is a Directorate-General of the European Commission under the responsibility of Máire Geoghegan-Quinn, European Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science. Its Board of Governors assists and advices the Director General on matters relating to the role and the scientific, technical and financial management of the JRC.
The Directorate-General is located in Brussels. The JRC has seven research institutes located in five different Member States: Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain.
- The Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements (IRMM)
- The Institute for Transuranium Elements (ITU)
- The Institute for Energy (IE)
- The Institute for the Protection and the Security of the Citizen (IPSC)
- The Institute for Environment and Sustainability (IES)
- The Institute for Health and Consumer Protection (IHCP)
- The Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (IPTS)